Sunday, May 19, 2013

Drying Hydrangeas

My husband bought me these BEAUTIFUL Hydrangeas for Valentine's Day. Here they are on our cart at Lowe's.


I had never successfully dried flowers before, so I followed the advice of my FAVORITE Blogger at Stone Gable
 
I waited for the blooms to get papery on the plant.
Almost a vintage color.
 
 
I put them in a couple inches of water to dry
Here they are in the drying stage
 
 
 



This is what they look like now.. Please forgive my reflection in the mirror (I am still new to blogging :)







I seem to have lost some of the color? Although they are still very pretty. Do they always lose color? And fade out?

Any advice on drying hydrangeas?
Did I put too much / not enough water?

P.S. I am not a flower arranger (my Sister-in-Law is WONDERFUL at this) I just stuck them in the vase to show the results. When she comes over, I will have her "arrange" them.
Linking to








{nifty button}







mop it up mondays







Sumo's Sweet Stuff










One on sidebarBetween Naps On the Porch
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I will be trying this out! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful. I never get this much color when I dry mine. I'm going to try your method.
    Carol Cottrell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      I had NO IDEA how to dry them. I found this method over at my favorite blog Stone Gable. Worked PERFECT!
      Lori

      Delete
  3. I think you did a wonderful job!!!! I mean it....wonderful!!!!!!

    Hydrangeas are SOOOO hard to dry and you did it perfectly. Hydrangeas have a ton of water in them and if you buy fresh one cut from a florist...within 3 hours they wilt, I have been trying to dry thoe, but have failed 5 times!!!! and yes they do tend to change color a bit when you dry them out...I have about 15 different bushes in my yard....I think I am going to buy potted ones and try drying those.

    XO,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine,
      I tried this method I learned over at Stone Gable. Worked PERFECT
      Lori!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Christine,
      Thanks so much for following me. I am BRAND NEW to blogging and loving it all.
      Lori

      Delete

01 09 10